While the Holiday season is supposed to be a time of joy and celebration, it can also create stress on the mind, body, and spirit! And, it’s no wonder…Life can be very chaotic this time of year -With all the hustle and bustle, standing in long lines for the perfect gift, last minute shopping, and getting together with family (especially in-laws)!?! So, what’s the answer???
12 Tips on Avoiding Holiday Stress and Tension:
- Try to put it all in Perspective – The Holidays only come once a year! Try to remember what it’s all about! Think back to your childhood and how much you enjoyed the Holiday season!
- Simplify – Shop early or shop online. This year have a Christmas potluck and have everyone bring a dish to pass. Instead of baking a half-dozen different kinds of cookies yourself – Have a cookie swap this year. Have each of your guests bring a tin filled with one kind of cookie (everyone brings a different kind of cookie), exchange the different assortments, and everyone goes home with a nice variety of Holiday treats!
- Breathe – Good breathing equates to better health in all realms of life – Physical, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual! Find a quiet spot and sit in a relaxed position. Bring your attention to your breath. Inhale through your nose, feeling your belly expand. As you exhale, gently pull your belly in, making your exhalation twice as long as your inhalation. Do this for 5 minutes as often as needed when feeling stressed or cranky!
- Meditate – Quiet your mind and relieve stress by practicing daily meditation. Whether you take a class or buy a video – Learning how to meditate is a great way to find inner peace anytime of the year!
- Soak in a Hot Bath – Light some candles, turn on some soft music, and sprinkle a few drops of essential oils in the water. Lavender works well for stress! Relax and Breathe in the scent! Try to turn off negative thoughts and visualize a place or scenario that makes you feel good!
- Massage – There is nothing like a good massage to melt away the tension! If you don’t have the time or can’t afford the luxury of having a professional massage – Do it yourself! Starting at the head, use a small amount of warmed aromatherapy essential oil. Again, lavender has a very calming effect, or try rosemary if you have an itchy scalp. Rosemary is also popular if you have aching joints or muscles. Massage the scalp with your fingertips and palms in a circular motion. Work your way down the body. End with your feet, vigorously stimulating the pressure points. Ahhhh….
- Soak up some Sun – Many people experience mood dips in the Winter time. 10-15 minutes of natural light can have a dramatic effect on boosting your serotonin levels and can really boost your mood and spirit!
- Take a Walk – Ride a bike, do yoga, make love, or any activity that you enjoy! Just get your body moving and your blood flowing – 30 minutes is all you need to help bring you out of the doldrums.
- Dance – Burn off Holiday tension and lift your spirits with upbeat tunes that make you feel good! And sing! Even if you’re no
- Journal – Writing things down on paper can really help! Spend a few minutes analyzing your thoughts to determine if there is a pattern or if you possibly have distorted thinking. Maybe it’s your memory cells that are negatively influencing the way you feel? Focus on thinking positive and remember what you’re thankful for! Try to let go of negative self-destructive thought patterns!
- Take your Supplements – In addition to eating a well-balanced diet, taking a good quality multi-vitamin with minerals and antioxidants is especially important in times of stress! Also, Omega-3 essential fatty acids are essential (hence the name) for strengthening your immune system and combatting stress.
- Indulge, but don’t Overindulge – The Holiday’s are the time for celebration! With all the Christmas parties and family gatherings, it’s hard to say no to those scrumptious Holiday treats! So, enjoy… Just remember to eat and drink sensibly!
Alleviating stress is simpler than we make it out to be! It’s not difficult, it doesn’t need to cost a lot of money, and it doesn’t even take that much effort!