Each time we enter into a New Year, I find myself filled with excitement and optimism that the coming year will be better than the years that preceded it, and that all my hopes, dreams, and hearts desires will come true in the New Year!
2008 was a rough year for many of us! Maintaining a positive attitude isn’t always easy, but it is vital for overall health! A good attitude can play a big part in boosting the immune system to fight off illnesses while giving you strength to get through the rough times. By thinking optimistically, you can actually increase your odds of living longer!
It may not seem like it, but being optimistic is a choice you make, and it obviously doesn’t come natural to everybody. It’s something you have to work at from moment to moment. Metaphorically, life is like a roller coaster ride… there’s always going to be ups and downs, that’s just part of the balance of life! It’s just a matter of accepting that fact, focusing on the positive, and enjoying the journey! It’s how you react during the hard times that arise, that can help you make it through in one piece. Even eternal optimists have bad days, but an optimist looks at the brighter side of life, finding solutions rather than problems, and opportunities rather than hurdles.
By seeing the glass as half-full, rather than half-empty, you’ll handle stress better, get sick less often, and experience more success in work, relationships, and everything you do!
10 Ways To Be More Happy!
- Live Every Day As If It Were Your Last – Visualize the kind of life you want and go for it! Stop putting things off! Remember – Life is meant to be fun! Focus on your dreams and shoot for the stars!
- Focus On Yourself – It’s NOT being selfish! You have to look out for #1 -YOU! As women we’re so preoccupied taking care of husbands, kids etc., that often times we deny our own needs and lose ourselves in the process! Take care of yourself first! By having healthy self-love, you will be a happier, healthier, more productive person and will have more energy and optimism to give to others!
- Let Go Of People And Things That Drain Your Energy – Life is way too short to spend it with people who bring you down or doing things that make you unhappy! Surround yourself with people that lift your spirits and make you feel good about yourself!
- Think Positive Thoughts – If your negative attitude has become a perpetual habit – Reprogram your thinking! Read self-help books, listen to motivational tapes, meditate, recite daily affirmations or inspirational quotes
- Live In The Moment – We live in such a fast paced society that sometimes we get so busy, we forget to pay attention to what is going on. Stop and look around you – Use all your senses. Focus on the beauty that surrounds you. See the vibrancy of the colors, breathe in the scents in the air, feel the sunshine on your face. Children live in the moment – Rediscover your inner-child!
- Laugh And Laugh Often – Laughing raises your endorphin levels. Endorphins are the “feel good” hormones produced in the brain. When endorphins are released you get a sense of happiness (euphoria), it improves your mood, increases pleasure, and suppresses pain both emotionally and physically. Laughing, Exercising, and having an Orgasm, are all excellent ways of raising your endorphin levels!
- Get Yourself Moving – Exercise is vital to health and happiness! Whether you take a 30 minute walk, go for a bike ride, or take a yoga class, exercise elevates those endorphin levels and is a powerful tool in enhancing your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. And is anti aging to boot!
- Let Go Of Hate, Anger, Jealously, And Guilt – These are all negative emotions that just drag you down! Instead embrace love, happiness, and gratitude!
- Treasure Life’s Simple Pleasures – The key to happiness is NOT the the ritzy house or fancy cars, it’s being able to appreciate the simple pleasures and joys in life, like… Hugging your child, listening to up-beat music, watching animals in nature, the smell of fresh-brewed coffee, helping someone in need, the feeling after a good work-out, watching the sunrise/sunset, good wine, snuggling in bed, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies, getting a relaxing massage, taking a hot bath with essential oils, a sensual night with your partner, giving/receiving a compliment, catching up with an old friend, singing in the shower, walking into a clean house, laughing till your sides ache, accomplishing something you’ve been putting off, gazing at the stars… the possibilities are endless!
- Keep A Gratitude Journal – Oprah taught me this one years ago and it really works! Every night before bed, write down 5 things that happened throughout the day that you are thankful/grateful for. It may be something as simple as enjoying a delicious dinner to spending time with your kids. This simple task makes you more aware and really helps you to focus on the simple things that normally you may have taken for granted or overlooked.
Celebrate Life and Find Magic in Everyday!
May the New Year bring you the success, health, and all the love that you desire! Next time you feel a little down in the dumps or find yourself in that negative stinkin’ thinkin’ mode – Relax, take a deep breath and realize that YOU have the power within you to change how you feel. Realize that negative thoughts only escalate! Learn to accentuate the positive! With a little practice and by utilizing some of the tips above, you can actually live a longer, healthier, happier life!